Class A Barber
The mission of Top of the Line Barber School is to provide each student with TOP OF THE LINE knowledge and skills, not only to pass the state licensing requirements, but to build a foundation for continuing education in each student’s professional field with the objective of obtaining the highest degree of excellence to establish and maintain a lifelong and rewarding professional career.
The primary purpose of the Barber Program is to to train the student in basic manipulative skills, safety judgements, proper work habits, and desirable attitudes necessary to pass the State Board Examination and for competency in job entry level positions in Barbering or related career field.
Top of the Line seeks to implement its philosophy based on providing programs designed for student achievement as follows:
- Discipline based on structured training to achieving a standard of excellence in the process of becoming licensed.
- Professionalism is becoming proficient in every aspect of life, especially in the field of Beauty and Barbering.
- Top of the Line Barber Schools vision is to train every student to become astute entrepreneurs and business professionals.
Upon completion of the course requirements, the determined graduate will be able to:
- Project a positive attitude and a sense of personal integrity and self-confidence.
- Practice proper grooming and effective communication skills and visual poise.
- Understand employer-employee relationships and respect the need to deliver worthy service for value received.
- Perform the basic manipulative skills including hair styling, shaping, bleaching, tinting, chemical reformation, scalp/hair conditioning, facials, shaving, honing and stropping.
- Perform the basic analytical skills to determine proper hairstyle, and color application for the client’s best overall look.
- Apply the theory, technical information and related matter to assure sound judgements, decisions, and procedures.
The curriculum to prepare a student for the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation examination for the registered Class A Barber License will consist of 1,000 hours to include the following:
Basics: anatomy and physiology; disorders of the skin, scalp, hair and nails; chemistry (haircoloring, chemical waving, and relaxing); bacteriology, sterilization and sanitation; safety, first aid, and sanitation; barber implements, tools, equipment and related theory; and history of barbering
Practice: shaving; mustaches and beards; haircutting; hairstyling; hair and scalp treatments, scalp massage; safety, first aid, and sanitation; hairweaving, extensions, and wigs; face and neck massage and treatments; facial hair removal; manicuring; chemistry (haircoloring, chemical waving, and relaxing); and razor techniques, safety, first aid, and sanitation.
Business: Texas barber laws and rules; customer service; barbershop management; professional ethics and image; safety, sanitation, related practices and theory; and hygiene and good grooming
Education is provided as a set of learning steps to achieve the skill necessary to graduate, pass the State Examinations and be employed in the field. Theory is taught five hours a week, students follow the Milady’s Standard Professional Barbering Textbook and the Instructors are guided by the Milady Course Management Guide Lesson Plans. Subjects are presented by means if lecture, instructor demonstrations, and student participation (student projects). Audio-Visual aids (DVDs, slides presented in the classroom, etc.) , guest speaker, and field trips.
All students must keep a cumulative grade of at least a “C” (70) in order to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. The grade will be an average of the practice and theory work. Cumulative grade refers to the grades since the start of the program.
Theory & Practical
Written tests, practical, and clinical work will be graded according to the following scale:
- Milady’s Standard Professional Barbering Textbook Sixth Edition
- Milady’s Standard Professional Barbering Workbook Sixth Edition
- Milady’d Standard Professional Barbering Exam Review Book Sixth Edition
Please check with the front office for a list of the tools and equipment included in the Tool Kit.